Friday, July 21, 2006

I belong to a Friday morning bible study ... for the summer we have been going thru Proverbs 31 with a book titled Becoming a Woman of Joy ~ A Scrapbooker Looks at Proverbs 31.
It really is a great study and fun way to look at it. But I must say the verses we looked at today are very convicting to my heart.

Proverbs 31:14-15
She is like the merchant ships, bringing food from a far.
She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

Well, I feel like a merchant ship, running here and there after stuff, but not sure I do much of the bringing home good food. We eat out far too much and boxed convenience foods far too often. I was not the only one feeling this way, so we discussed where it was that we were lacking ... Why weren't we able to do more "home cooked meals"? I think the basic conclusion was many of us with children of varying ages were so busy we lacked time to prepare, but also that the planning piece was missing. I know this is true for me. When I write a weekly menu and stick to it, we do so much better. I have in the past sat down on Sat. or Sun. to make a meal plan for the week, and on the back of the paper I've made a grocery list of the things I would need for those meals. Allen is so kind and generous to shop for me if I make a list like that. Then when I get up each morning its like I already have a goal ... I know that certain things need pre-cooking or cutting and that certain things need to get in the over by a certain time (depending on which meal it is). There is no standing with the fridge or freezer door open at 4:30 thinkning ... whats in here ... and what do I feel like doing????

So my goal (I use that word loosely) is to place those verses in my kitchen and try one again to be more committed to my meal planning. But I think it won't be possible without medtating on scripture ... if I'm doing it to be "the Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart wife" thats the wrong reason. I want to do this to please and glorify my God!

0 comments: