Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bed Rest

Well, being on bed rest means I get to read and catch up on a lot of blogs. Yep I said bed rest already ... but hopefully just for this week. Here is the story of our crazy weekend:


I went in for a normal 18 week appointment on Friday morning and was so dehydrated that my OB sent my off to the hospital for IV fluids. Being dehydrated in pregnancy is not unusual for me, but this time it took 4 bags to get my levels back to normal. It seems I've been feeling sick for so long I did not really identify the signs of my own dehydration. Please pray that I won't do that again. I spent 9 1/2 hours at the hospital that day and my dad came and entertained our kids (hours at Underwater World and dinner and ice cream at my sister's house - kids never missed me). Allen was able to be at work since the kids were cared for. I finally arrived home around 10:30pm, to 3 sleeping kids and my dad and O.(our 5 year old) watching Star Wars in the living room. Owen tells me that Papa is his very best friend (I wonder why)

We all slept great till about 3:30 Sat. morning, I woke up and felt very odd, went to the bathroom to discover bright red blood. Very very scary, lots of tears and prayers. I continued to spot over the next few hours and called the on-call OB at my clinic who said I could wait and see what happens or come in for monitoring and ultrasound. We waited around for a bit, and my dad came back to get the kids, Allen called work and let them know he would not be there on time. When the bleeding seemed to get worse we went in. Praise the Lord they found baby's heartbeat right away! What a relief. Then we had an ultrasound that looked great! There were several theories on what caused the bleeding, but no way to know for sure. We were just thrilled that baby was fine and the bleeding seemed to be slowing and turning more brown than red. My dad had our kids for several hours and knowing that baby was ok Allen went to work and our good friend, Marcia, came to sit at the hospital with me. At some point in the afternoon my dad delivered our 4 kids to Marcia's house. So her dh got to enjoy the chaos of 10 kids in his house. Thank you, Mike!!!! I was finally sent home around 7:30 pm and told to stay on bed rest for a few days to be sure the bleeding did not reoccur and to resume my activies slowly.

Sunday went OK, I have 4 kids, so I can't admit to complete bed rest, but we tried. Over the evening my lower abdomen and left side started to ache. I tried to sleep, but by morning I again called my clinic. Since I was not bleeding they were not overly concerned but wanted me to come in for a few tests. Turns out there is blood in my urine and I have a bladder infection. So I am now on antibiotics and supposed to try stay on bed rest for a whole week. Please pray for me and the kids, this could be a LONG week. And please praise God that it does not seem to be anything more serious than my usual pregnancy nausea and a bladder infection.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you and your family. I only have one son and am not sure how you guys with more than one make it through pregnancy. All I know is His grace is sufficient!