Saturday, March 15, 2008

Blogger Friend School #18



For assignment #18 Nancy has asked us to "write something fun or just take a look back at our lives and what we wanted to do when we were so young! It'll be fun to read about what everyone thought they would be doing when they were young...did you ever think you'd be homeschooling? Add a verse to go with your assignment too please."
Well, I think at one time I swore I'd never have kids ... that seems comical now, because I can not even imagine my life with out my precious kiddos.

In elementary and Jr. High I dreamed a lot about being a pilot and working for NASA. I loved studying about planets and stars and space! I still do. A friend of mine and I attended Space Camp down in Huntsville Alabama twice (when we were in 6th grade and 8th grade, I think).

Over the years that dream gave way to Politics, Governments and stuff like that. My freshman year I was a Poli Sci major. And I still love that kind of stuff, too. But I could not imagine having to work in that world everyday. Somewhere during that year God did show me (or I finally listened long enough to hear), that his plan for me involved children and teaching. I changed my major to early childhood education and about 5 months later was in a car accident. I was taken to the emergency room, that is where we discovered I was pregnant with our first child. Can you imagine my poor hubby arriving at the ER, after being told his wife was in a car wreck. My first words to him: "Hi honey, I'm banged up a bit, but OK, they'll discharge me in a little while ... and half an hour ago in the process of a few blood tests they discovered I'm pregnant! Surprise! By the way, the officer on the scene thinks your truck is still drivable, just smashed in back"

Anyway, recovering from that accident kept me from attending that quarter of college, then morning sickness kept me from the next. And once I held that baby in my arms, well ... God's plan was obvious. I'm thrilled God saw the mother and homeschool teacher I could be. I remember the first homeschooling family we met, I was shocked that their kids did not "go" to school and I was sure I would NEVER do that! I think God must have a sense of humor.

For someone who said she'd never have children and then said she'd never homeschool ... here I am pregnant with baby #5 and we are not sure she'll be our last. And here we are in year 5 of homeschooling.

I used to joke that as soon as I had a "plan" or a "path" all figured out, God started throwing monkey wrenches into it :-) Now I realize that those things I had "all planned out" where things I planned without consulting Him, my creator, the One who knew what I was meant for, the one who knew why I was created in the first place. I was being a bit like a delicately hand made vase who insisted it was a kitchen knife. I just was not created for that. And it turns out when I live as I was created for I grow closer to my Creator ... what a wonderful life. Notice I said wonderful, not easy.

A few of the verses that God has used to teach me about this over the years:

Jeremiah 29:11-13
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work
in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Acts 20:24:
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Proverbs 16:9
In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, That's a beautiful assignment you did, what's more is that it's a wonderful testimony. One of my favorite poems that I wrote years ago was titled, "Let Go...let God" it was 11 pages long and I've never written anything more beautiful than that...and I'll never see that poem again because it was lost in a house fire. That poem was a healing time for me as your babies were/are a healing time for you. Thank you for sharing.

Nancy

Deb said...

Great post :)

I too didn't plan on children before I had them and now wouldn't want it any other way!