Friday, April 18, 2008

Haiku Friday - 100th post time

Haiku Friday



My one hundreth post
Could it really be today?
I've written that much?

I enjoy blogging
And reading other's blogs too
Welcome to my blog




It seems to be a bit of a custom or tradition to post 100 things about one self when you reach your 100th blog entry. I've seen many of my blogging friends do this. And enjoyed reading their lists of 100 things. About the time I posted my 79th post I strated thinking about how I would come up with 100 things about me. But when I arrived on that date (and my list was surprisingly complete) ... it just was not an appropriate time for me to share this list. I certainly did not feel like celebrating my 100th post (you can read what I posted instead by clicking here) So here we are at post number 110 and I'm ready to share my list! Hope you enjoy learning a little bit (or a lota bit) about me:


1.I was born in Iowa

2.Moved from there to NC

3.Moved from there to IL

4.Moved from there back to Iowa

5.Moved from there to Argentina (when I was 6 years old)

6.We lived in B.A. for several months, then moved to a smaller town on the Atlantic coast, Necochea

7.I have great memories of riding horses and days on the beach. We could walk to the beach from our house

8.When I was nine were moved back to the US, but that was one year earlier than planned, due to the Falkland Island War ... sad time for Argentina

9.Then we moved to MN ... all my grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles lived there. Being near family was nice.

10.In MN I went to the same elementary school, Jr High and High School that my hubby went to ... we did not really get to know each other till high school, but we were in the same schools all those years (I'm so greatful for the way God had my life planned out!)

11.My family traveled a ton during my childhood, not just moves, but vacations too. I still love to travel

12.I love the smell when you first walk into an airport ... I told you I love to travel

13.Disney World still tops my list of places I love to travel to ...even though I've been there 20some times in my life

14.Hawaii and Argentina are tied for second/third favorite places I love to travel to.

15.I remember attending Vacation Bible School as a child at my grandma's church. We were home visiting from Argentina.

16.Bible stories and songs we learned drew me into God's presence even then, but I knew nothing of having him as my personal savior

17.I remember my mom reading me stories from the story bible that my grandma bought me.

18.While we were living in Argentina my dad sent my grandpa money to buy a horse ... we named her Bonita (Beautiful) before we ever saw her. My grandpa kept her at his farm for us, with his horse.

19.Once we moved back to the US, we really enjoyed every time we visited grandpa's farm because we got to ride Bonita.

20.Another thing I really enjoyed about visiting my grandparents is that my longest ever friendship formed there. Mary has known me all my life, because her parents were good friends of my grandparents.

21.My parents met in Jr High and their parents still live in that same town, in the same houses that my parents grew up in. All four have had health issues, but are generally healthy and very active.

22.When I was born I still had 2 great-grandfathers living, but before I turned two one of them passed away.

23.My other great-grandpa lived until I was a freshman in college.

24.I took ballet and tap dance classes from 3rd-6th grades ... had fun, but not sure I learned very much :-)

25.I was a girl scout from 3rd- 6th grade ... they had great camps when I was that age. And I still LOVE those girl scout cookies with peanut butter in them ... yumm!

26.My favorite classes in school were social studies and history.

27.Math and science made my head hurt :-)

28.I don't really remember liking or not liking elementary school, just liked seeing my friends.

29.But beginning in 7th grade (Jr. High) I hated school!!!

30.My grades were not always straight A's, but I was on the honor roll most years

31.I liked to learn, but hated all the other "stuff" that went along with being a teenager trapped there with other teenagers.

32.I enjoyed choir all my years in Jr. High and High School. I'm not a talented singer, but I do enjoy choir singing.

33.I was in band from 5th through 11th grade, but really should have quit that much sooner ... I was often frustrated and confused in band, but its what my friends were doing so being the typical teen I was, I just "stuck it out"

34.As a senior I made some terrible choices, but I also realized a few things about me ... and finally had the guts to quit band.

35.I hope my kids never ever hear what I was like in Jr. High ... parties, drinking ... its not a pretty picture.

36.But my God, my Savior met me right where I was and continued to pursue me.

37.When I was in 8th grade a family moved to our town, their girls invited me to their youth group ... I learned so much that I had never before heard about Christ.

38.Their older sister became a great mentor of mine and helped me learn how to study the bible and helped me work on memorizing bible verses.

39.It was on a winter youth retreat with their church I committed my life to Christ and invited Christ into my heart ... that changed so many things for me

40.I can't say it made things rosier or easier ... but I had God ... that changed how I saw things

41.As I grew apart from certain "friends" I grew closer to the Lord, but felt a great attack of depression.

42.I often thought of running away or killing myself while I was in high school

43.But Our God is Faithful!!! My future husband and I continued to cross paths in high school. His friendship and several others helped me deal.

44.I'm glad God met me where I was back then, I'm glad He never gave up on me and I'm grateful for all those people He put in my life to show me His love.

45.I graduated High School, but was terrified to think much about my future.
There was just so much to consider, I was so overwhelmed.

46.I spent a year at Hamline University, really glad I did, too, because Mary was attending there (remember the friend who lived near my grandparents)

47.The month before I started college dh and I got engaged. I thought plannng to spend the rest of my life with him was the greatest thing that ever happened to me ... I was only partly right, because actually living it now ... it gets better and better everyday. I am so blessed to be his wife.

48.My life long friend Mary seemed to be the perfect choice to be my maid of honor.

49.I'm glad I spent that year at Hamline, but it was the longest year of my life!!!
I missed my hubby-to-be so very much

50.After that year at Hamline, we were married, on July 17th.

51.Then we moved to where he was stationed in the Navy, near Seattle, WA

52.Pretty scary thing to move halfway across the country from all my family, but I was so excited to be with the love of my life!

53.Until he shipped out an a 2 1/2 month patrol ... then I was so lonely

54.I attended a year and a half of classes at Olympic College in WA, I had finally decided to major in early childhood education

55.I also worked part time at a church daycare and preschool, I enjoyed that job very much.

56. Then, one January evening I was on my way to choir practice at church and the truck I was driving was hit from behind.

57.That was my first ambulance ride ... very very scary

58.At the hospital I waited and waited for some pain meds, but was eventually told that the "bad news" was that according to my blood work, they could not give me anything stronger than Tylenol, the "good news" was the reason: I was pregnant!!!

59.My poor hubby was in shock for at least a day. Just imagine: he got a call saying his wife was in the ER, his truck had been smashed up, and when he came to pick me up he found out I was pregnant! But I give him credit, he did not pass out!

60.I was in major pain for weeks, but nothing was broken and baby was doing fine! I was unable to drive or make it to my classes, though.

61.Realizing I was missing too much school to catch up I decided to take off that quarter of college, but by the next quarter I was way too sick from the pregnancy to start back up.

62.Unfortunately dh had to be out to sea on a submarine when our baby was due, talk about heartbreaking for both of us! So once he left on his patrol I flew home to have our baby in MN, while staying with my parents.

63.But before flying back to MN I stopped in CO to be my friend's maid of honor in her wedding. Six months pregnant and still able to wear a bridesmaid dress. That can only happen in a first pregnancy ;-)

64.During that pregnancy I was diagnosed as having a didelphic uterus (or uterine didelphys) ... basically I have two (yes two!) half uteri. Preterm labor is often a problem for women with two uteri. I had some complications around 34 weeks and then got very sick with 104 degree fever when I was 36 weeks.

65.I ended up needing a c-section, it was probably my most traumatic experience ever.

66.But I had a beautiful and healthy baby girl, who never had a moment's trouble nursing!!!

67.And 5 weeks after she was born we flew home to WA and to her daddy ... Oh! I was so glad to be in his arms again!!!

68.We had a great time parenting, learning how to care for new little girl and learning more about ourselves, too.

69.I'm forever grateful for the friend who gave us a book that suggested an Attachment Parenting type of parenting style.

70.Dr. William Sears became my favorite parenting author.

71.By the time our little girl was 6 months old I was getting all kinds of questions about when I was going to wean her "to a bottle, instead of nursing so much". My mind just could not fathom that!

72.It was then that I discovered La Leche League ... what a wonderful blessing those ladies were!

73. Our little girl continued to nurse past 3 years old, but was suddenly "All Done" one day. She told me then that it was because she was a big girl and was going to start preschool soon :-)

74.I might have been highly emotional to hear my little girl tell me that, but by then I had had her little brother (who was due on her 3rd b-day, but arrived 10 days late)

75.Dh's commitment to the Navy ended the same month our ds was born, so with a three week old baby, and a 3 year old we packed up and moved back to MN

76.While we were thrilled to be back by family in MN, it was a terribly difficult adjustment and very stressful time for us

77.After living in a terribly small and drafty townhouse for 7 months we finally found a house that we loved and could afford to buy! We still live there today!

78.As dh settled into the new job and we moved into our new home and as our little baby boy approached turning one, life seemed to mellow out and we even found a church home and new friends ... what a blessing!

79.My sweet little girl started preschool at a church nearby, we had thought of homeschooling but decided against it at that time (all things in God's timing)

80.The wonderful christian ladies who ran the preschool turned out to be such a blessing and our dd met one of her best friends that first year in preschool. Our families both homeschool now and still spend time together.

81.Just before our little boy turned 3 we found out we were pregnant again! Funny thing was we had just booked a cruise for Thanksgiving break (still several months away) ... even though I was 25 weeks pregnant by Thanksgiving Break we really did enjoy the Disney cruise experience, as did our kids who were then 6 and 3 years old.

82.Our third baby was born in Feb. That was a nice change since the other two were both born in Sept.

83.I remember wondering which of his sibling he would be most like because our dd and ds were totally opposite personalities... Imagine my surprise when I realized this third child was a third opposite!!! How is that even possible???

84.After all three of those pregnancies I had some pretty rough depression issues and LOTS of anxiety. Drs. suggested anti-depressants each time but I never agreed to it because they told me I'd need to quit nursing.

85.Then we lost baby #4 to a miscarriage ... certainly one of the hardest things I've ever lived through. But God did teach us much in that time.

86.Again due to all the hormonal imbalances and stress my depression spiraled and this time there was no baby to nurse. (I was still nursing a two year old but hardly at all) My Dr., DH, and friends urged me to give the meds a try.

87.The deciding factor for me was one day at our homeschool co-op meeting ... a mom I bearly knew came up and said "for some reason I need to tell you about my experience with Prozac" That was the preferred anti-depressant my Dr. wanted me to take and this woman knew NOTHING of my history or even that I was considering starting Prozac. She just felt the Lord move upon her to share her story with me. I guess God knew I'd need a big push ... and that was a big push ... I just could not believe it.

88.So I started my journey with Prozac Jan 3rd of 2005. My dh was able to tell a difference in me, my attitude, and my moods at exactly two weeks ... I can't say I felt the difference till 3 or 4 weeks, but WOW! what a difference it was.

89.After one month on Prozac, I found out in Feb. that we were already pregnant again! My family practice doctor and my O.B. both advised me to stay on the Prozac, they had both seen plenty of women and babies do just fine on it. I am truly glad I took their advice, and so is my family.

90.Pregnancy #5 turned out to be my MOST difficult ... I was so so so sick, hyperemesis, dehydration, and a liver condition. Plus, our house was being remodeled, I ended up on bedrest at 31 weeks(living in a hotel), and at 35 weeks tripped on my way home from a Dr. appointment and broke my foot ... I swear that is all true!

91.We did not want to find out if we were having a girl or a boy, but God gave us the name Ezekiel as a boys name ... its much too long of a story to include here ... but when I looked up the meaning of Ezekiel I learned it means "whom God strengthens". Well, that sure fit that pregnancy! We only survived by God's grace and God's strength.

92.Our little Ezekiel is now 2 and has a few of his own medical challenges ... But God continues to strengthen both him and us.

93.Since he was born we have experienced another miscarriage, and again may I say God was our strength!

94.We are now in our 7th pregnancy and expecting a baby girl in May. She will be our fifth blessing here with us, and we'll always remember the two who are waiting for us in heaven. Even our older three kids talk about "our babies in Heaven" from time to time and that makes my mommy heart smile.

95.God has marked some of the most significant moments in my life by giving me verses to cling to ... During my first pregnancy I often repeated these verses:

I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does y help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

The Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

Psalm 121:1-2, and 8



96.God blessed my life with this verse during my second pregnancy and it has been a sustaining thought in my life since then:

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness

2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV



97.While pregnant with out third child I read the following verses and was truly blessed with His peace:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7 NIV



98.During our last pregnancy when things seemed to go wrong almost daily and I was so sick the Lord taught me to praise Him with my whole heart and this is just one of the verses He used to do that:

Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

I will praise you, O Lord my God,
with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.

Psalm 86:11-12 (NIV)




99.Just over halfway through this pregnancy, while I was sitting in my OB's waiting room I opened up my pocket bible and saw I Chronicles 16:8-12 was already underlined, although I can't quite remember when or why I underlined it, but I read it that day, because it caught my attention and has certainly become my verse for this time in my life:

Give thanks to the Lord and pray to him.
Tell the nations what he has done.

Sing to him; sing praises to him.
Tell about all his miracles.

Be glad that you are his;
let those who seek the Lord be happy.

Depend on the Lord and his strength;
always go to him for help.

Remember the miracles he has done,
his wonders, and his decisions.

I Chronicles 16:8-12 NCV

The NIV version is good too, but I posted the NCV version because that is the version I first read it in ... though I came home and looked it up in 5 different versions.


and 100. I can not imagine life now, without My Savior. I'm eternally grateful for his gift of salvation and the many ways He has guided and blessed my life. If you want to know more about Our Great God and Savior, then please click here to read more.

8 comments:

Kara Jo said...

Heather, thank you for taking the time to write this post. I loved reading every one of your 100 items. Though most of it I know (you and I have been friends since 3rd grade!) it was still so neat to see it all laid out like this, and how God has been so faithful to work and shape and guide. Praise be to Him!

Kat said...

Wow! You did the whole 100 things. I'm impressed!
Happy 100th post!

Blessedw5mom said...

Hi Kara Jo ~

Thanks! I figured you would be one that could even WRITE 100 things about me, you know me so well ;-) But I was surprised to find out how theraputic it was for me to do ... consider how God ordered all the envents in my life ... how each of those events drew me closer to HIM. All Glory and Praise to God!

~ Heather

Joyce said...

Hi, I found your blog through Haiku Friday. I really enjoyed your "100 Things." You have been through so much, but, as you said, the Lord has been faithful. :)

Unknown said...

It was nice reading so many things about you that I never knew. I was in my *own* little bubble in high school I guess. It's so awesome to see God's faithfulness in your life!

Tumblewords: said...

Nice post! I've posted nearly 500 times, so I'd be writing for a long time with that set of directions! Grin. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Karen from The T.A.G. Blog. I tried to send you a prayer request email for our study group but the email came back to me. Could you send me your email address?

Thanks!
Hope you're having a wonderful day!
Karen
www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog

Unknown said...

What a great list! God is SO good! It's so wonderful to hear how He has seen you thru good times and bad. He is faithful!

Congrats on your 100th post!