Saturday, October 25, 2008

It is the LORD's purpose that prevail




A friend asked me a while ago about dreams or plans I had when I was younger, back before I was married or had kids. She wondered if my life had turned out as I imagined it would? As I thought back over past dreams and plans I had to giggle. And I am reminded of Jeremiah 29:11-13:

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."


I'm so glad that God remains in control and that He knows the plans He has for me. At one time in my life I swore I'd never have kids ... that seems comical now, because I can not even imagine my life with out my precious kiddos. But back then I was younger, a bit foolish, stubborn, not willing to be completely dependant on God. As I look back now, I can truly see the fingerprints of God on my life. And I'm so grateful that God's plans prevailed and not mine.

As a teenager I dreamed a lot about being a pilot and working for NASA. I loved studying about planets and stars and space! I still do (but with my kids). A friend and I even attended Space Camp down in Huntsville Alabama twice.

Over the years that dream gave way to politics and governments. My freshman year in college I was a Poli Sci major. And I still love studing that kind of stuff. The kids and I are currently working on Elections 2008 Lapbooks. But I could not imagine having to work in that world everyday, its just not what God created me for. Somewhere during my second year at college God did show me (or I finally listened long enough to hear), that his plan for me involved children and teaching. I changed my major to early childhood education and about 5 months later was in a car accident. I was taken to the emergency room, that is where we discovered I was pregnant with our first child. Talk about a change in plans! Can you imagine my poor hubby arriving at the ER, after being told his wife was in a car wreck and my first words to him were:

"Hi honey, I'm banged up a bit, but OK, they'll discharge me in a little while ... and half an hour ago in the process of a few blood tests they discovered I'm pregnant! Surprise! By the way, the officer on the scene thinks your truck is still drivable, just smashed in back"

Recovering from that accident kept me from attending classes that quarter. Then morning sickness kept me from attending the next quarter. And once I held that baby in my arms, well ... God's plan for me was obvious. I'm thrilled God saw the mother I could be.

God must have a great sence of humor. For someone who said she'd never have children ... here I am, blessed with five children. I'm so glad God's plans prevail, and that He is so patient with me!

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.



Before any of us were ever born, before any man or woman ever placed foot on this world, God had plans. He created us, planned for us, and He loves us. God's plans are unique and individual. For some of us that means children and homeschooling, for others that means work at NASA, for others its missions work in remote areas and still others as doctors and lawyers. God has great plans for each of us and I'd love to encorage you to seek HIS plans for your life. Follow where prayer and scripture lead you. A few other verses that God has used to teach me about this over the years:


Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work
in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Acts 20:24:
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

Proverbs 16:9
In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.



3 comments:

Kara Jo said...

Great post, Heather. Thanks for sharing!
I didn't remember your determinedness not to have children...I do remember you saying (in high school or early college?) that you really wanted to raise boys, and raise them right--to be respectful, honoring to women, etc. Well, my dear, you are doing a fantastic job of raising both. :)

JaniceFry said...

Hello, Heather! I, too have five children (although mine are "all grown up" now!) and 4 grands. I know how busy you are and how much work it is, but I ALSO know how much JOY you receive from 5 loving hearts. Each of my 5 are so special to us and now the joy is doubled/tripled/quadrupled with in-laws and grands. It only gets better! Enjoy every minute but know more joys will come!
blessings and Joy!
Jan (GranJan!)
<><

Julie said...

Heather, Thanks for sharing your story.

I too have 5 children.

Julie