Tuesday, February 26, 2008

These wise words were written by Cindy and originally posted at http://www.thehomeschoollounge.com/

If you would like to visit her blogs, you can find them on my myspace at www.myspace.com/GosuMom



LEVELING UP ~~ or Lessons I Learned From Video Games


"The longer I stay here and fight these guys, the stronger I get."

That's what my son told me last night, as he was deep in battle with a giant flying whale on a video game. I was sitting on the couch looking at the game on the screen, but not really concentrating on it, and I suppose Nathan felt the need to explain to me what he was doing in that level of the game.

"Leveling up" -- that's what they call it. He further explained that the purpose of the game is to conquer the opponents in each setting, and then he can "level up". As he beats each level of the game, he levels up, moving closer and closer to beating the game completely. In his words, "You gain experience through fighting, and when you gain enough experience, then you level up." Sounds like your everyday, average VG comments, right? Yet I raced to find pen and paper and write down his quotes before I forgot them. Let me explain why.

Life sometimes HURTS. Situations get UNPLEASANT. Burdens seem UNBEARABLE. I had just spent a good deal of time sitting on the porch in the dark of night, praying for God to help me carry the burdens of my life. I was distraught, sobbing uncontrollably, and crying out in my anguish and frustration .... pure AGONY of heart and mind and soul. In my prayers, I had made thanksgiving to God for His blessings, being sure to recognize and vocalize how He carries me day by day. And I had asked for His strength as I faced yet another painful, unpleasant trial of life, a burden that sometimes is excruciating to bear .... a burden that I sometimes wish to be free of.

As I wound down to an end of this particular moment of prayer, my heart ached, my head ached, and the only words I could think of were "God help me." As I struggled to find words, those are the only 3 that I could utter. "God help me." Repeatedly. "God help me." Without flowery speech or church-y sounding lingo. "God help me." After the exhausting sobs, and the millions of tears, and the urgent petitions, I just collapsed -- physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally -- into "God help me". No other words would come.

When I left the porch and came back inside the house, I sat down on the couch and looked at the tv screen. Nathan glanced around to see me there. As he turned back to his game on the tv screen, PS2 controller in hand, he simply said, "The longer I stay here and fight these guys, the stronger I get." So don't ever, ever tell me that God doesn't answer prayer. Ten seconds after I prayed, He sent me the answer:

"The longer I stay here and fight these guys, the stronger I get."

"You gain experience through fighting, and when you gain enough experience, then you level up."

The longer we serve the Lord, the stronger our faith becomes. We gain experience through persevering, and when we've walked with Him faithfully thoughout our lives, we'll eventually level up. Eternity with Christ. Yeah, it's definitely worth struggling through the trials and tribulations. The more I seek Him, the stronger my faith becomes. Leveling up indeed.

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.'" ~~ II Corinthians 12:9a

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That was wonderful to read. Thank you for directing our attention to it.