Sunday, May 18, 2008

Book Study - Assignment 6 Discussion




Many many thanks to Karen for hosting the wonderful study on Nancy Leigh Demoss's book Lies Women Believe And The Truth That Sets Them Free. Please feel free to come join in if you'd like! http://www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog


Assignment 6

Read Chapter Four pages 91-114.

Questions
Karen decided not to give any discussion questions this week. This chapter was a bit lengthy. So, for our posts, we are to share what is on your heart at that time for Chapter Four.


---------------------------


This chapter was titled Lies Women Believe ... About Sin. Nancy DeMoss looked specificly at 5 lies women tend to believe about sin:

* I can sin and get away with it

* My sin isn't really that bad

* God can't forgive what I've done

* I am not fully responsible for my actions and reactions

* I cannot walk in consistent victory over sin

But for every lie God has a much greater, conquring Truth and that is what we need to focus on.

* Sin and lies are not the easiest thing to look at in myself. But there are certainly areas in my life where I make excuses or rationalize why this or that behavior is OK. But on page 97 Nancy wrote

According to Hebrews 11:25, sin does bring pleasure - for a short time. Ultimatly sin exacts a devastating toll. There are no exceptions.


How true that is ... we can make excuses, and explain all day, but if its wrong, its wrong and we will see consequences at some point. Easy enough to say, right? Still there are times its so hard to remember. I liked her idea about writing down a list of the consequences sin. Some of us just need a visual reminder (my self included there).

* God does not hold us up us up in comparisson to any other sinner ... sin is sin, I agree with Nancy's quote on page 100:

The way to see the truth about sin is to see it in the light of who God is


She followed that with a Puritan prayer that I think I will print out and hang where I'll see it every day:

Unmask to me sin's deformity,
that I may hate it, abhor it, flee from it ...
Let me never forget that the heinousness of sin
lies not in the nature of the sin commited,
as in the greatness of the person sinned against.


* "God Can't Forgive What I've Done" is another lie that Satan wispers or shouts
at women. I think Satan counts on women's "feelings" here, somtimes not "feeling" forgive or that perhaps we have not "done" enought to earn that forgivness ... But God longs for us to see the truth. I'm glad that Nancy included words from the hymn Nothing but the blood of Jesus, and Romans 3:25. From page 101:

It was at Calvary that God's mercy and love for sinners and the truth of His holy hatred for sin found a meeting place.





Consider this me hitting the pause button on my thoughts ... kids hungery and arguing ... need to go deal with ... will be back later




If you'd like to participate in this book study, please read the book study information by clicking here. After reading the information, you can join in with us each Monday

1 comments:

Marsha said...

I'm sorry Heather. I didn't realize your post was here until I came over for TT today. I'll come back and read later this afternoon. I've got to run right now.