Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Book Study - Assignment 5 Discussion





Karen over at the T.A.G blog is hosting this book study/discussion on Nancy Leigh Demoss's book Lies Women Believe And The Truth That Sets Them Free. Please feel free to come join in if you'd like! http://www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog

Memory Verses we are learning:

"Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free"
John 8:32

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free"
Galatians 5:1




Assignment 5 Discussion

We read the remainder of Chapter Three. Read pages 73-89.

Questions
This week's questions have been taken from The Companion Guide for Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss published by Moody Publishers, Chicago, IL ©2002

1. "Read Psalm 37:1-11. What are the attitudes and behaviors of a person who is claiming her rights? What are the attitudes and responses of the person who has yielded her rights and expectations to God?" (pg. 37)

Attitudes and behaviors of those who are claiming their rights include selfishness, easily angered or frustrated, anxious or worry.

And attitudes and behaviors of those who have yeilded their rights and expectations to God are: trust in the Lord, knowing joy while patiently waiting, peace even during difficult circumstances.

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6 (ESV)

or

If people's thinking is controlled by the sinful self, there is death. But if their thinking is controlled by the Spirit, there is life and peace. Romans 8:6 (NCV)

also found this verse:

I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ,[a] who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13 (NLT)



2. "In what area(s) of your life have you tended to think that something is your 'right' when it may not truly be a 'right' at all...?" (pg. 37)
I think I have felt this in that I want to be appreciated, approved of and valued by family, my children, and my friends ... but really its Gods approval I should be seeking, and my valued in Christ that I should be trusting in.


4. "According to Psalm 16:11, where is the only place that all our longings can be completely met?" (pg. 40)
Only in God. On pg.86 the author writes "God has made us in such a way that we can never be truly satisfied with anything or anyone less than Himself (Psalm 16:11 and Psalm 34:8-10)"

Answering that question made me think of the song "In Christ Alone":






The following questions are from Karen at TAG Blog:

5. What does Scripture have to say about a woman's beauty? Give Scripture references.



I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9 NIV


Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:3-4

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30



6. How do we, as women, find balance between taking care of ourselves physically as well as displaying ourselves as the royalty we are and not falling into the trap of focusing too much on physical beauty?
I'll have to admitt, I still struggle with this and I long to find the answer. Especially since I have a 12 year old daughter. I'd love to spare her the pain and mistakes her mother made by believing and acting on lies.

My only answer right now is that we can only find that balance by spending time with the One who created us ... prayer, scripture, and worship

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
You said, "My only answer right now is that we can only find that balance by spending time with the One who created us ... prayer, scripture, and worship"

I think you are right! Spending much time with the One who thinks we are beautiful, the One who loves us unconditionally...is so important!

Hope you are doing well!
Take care,
Karen
www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog